Reviews

'As always, it was sheer pleasure to observe Robin Hill's remarkable fluent technique: everything looks easy when he plays it.' Colin Cooper- Classical Guitar Magazine ----- 'Wonderful for their (Hill & Wiltschinsky) precision, touch and clarity of sound... refined virtuosity, the achievement of a long interpretive process.' Il Giornale D'Italia (Rome) ----- 'I loved your CD and thought your technique and performance were fabulous...' Rick Wakeman

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Heavy Metal and the Mind - of Robin Hill...

I read an article by Nic Fleming, in The Daily Telegraph, which says, "Intelligent teenagers often listen to heavy metal music to cope with the pressure associated with being talented, according to the research."

The study was carried out on a group of 'gifted' youths by a psychologist from the University of Warwick, Stuart Cadwallader. He feels that the perception that gifted children are more interested in classical music and reading is wrong, and that the students turn to heavy metal as a way of relieving stress.

Statistics can be made to show anything you like really, but I'm sure there is some truth in this.
Whether the fact that many schools, (in the UK anyway), have limited access to classical music has affected the outcome of our youths listening habits is another story.
Heavy metal, rock, R&B etc are all readily available.

Let me show you a picture.




This is Robin playing electric guitar some years ago, and yes, that really is him under all that hair! This was taken at a time when Robin played not only in his own bands, Spring, Force 10 and Hooper, but also with the major artists Deep Purple and Jethro Tull. Whilst not all heavy metal there was certainly an element of very loud electric guitar.
What this says about Robin, I haven't quite worked out...

Meanwhile down in London, The Mousetrap was fantastic and Robin hasn't told me 'whodunnit'. He will be home again later today.

Also, a very big hello to all our American visitors. I'm not sure what has triggered a huge increase in interest over there. The last time this happened it was due to some radio plays of Hill/Wiltschinsky playing Radames Gnattali, but so far I haven't established a reason. If there is one, please let me know so I can follow it up.
Either way, hope you enjoy the blog!

2 comments:

Kathy from NC said...

My parents are on the Crystal Serenity and I have a Google Alert out for the ship. That's hoe I found you.

My husband and I used to live in London 24 years ago.

Kathy

Anna said...

I hope they are enjoying themselves, I'm told it's very nice!
Many thanks for the comment.